Saturday, February 7, 2009

Artist Trading Cards

Thursday night was the quarterly ATC (Artist Trading Cards) event at Hoosier Highlander, our little art supply store in downtown Highland. For those of you who don't know what an ATC is (which I did not up until a year ago or so), it's a trading card. The size is 2.5" x 3.5", and should be a piece of original art; a signed, limited edition print; or a photograph. They are traded, never sold.

It's a fun thing to do, and a great way to collect original art. I've made and traded about 25 cards so far, and have a few pictures of some of them. I'll post them later. I'd also like to showcase the ones I've collected, but will have to get permission from the individual artists.

4 comments:

Michele H. said...

what a sweet idea. i love it! do a lot of artists show up for the trade?

Marjorie said...

I like the nice white you got on the Gocco print! Mine didnt turn out that strong.

Julie said...

Michele:

At our Hoosier Highlander swaps, we've averaged about 6 people for the last 3 swaps. We're trying to get the word out to local artists to make some ATCs and come out for a night of food, fun and trading. The next swap is Thurs., May 7 from 5-7 pm at HH.

Julie said...

Marjorie:

Printing white on any dark surface, whether in traditional offset printing, or screen printing, usually requires a double hit of ink. In this case, because of the registration issue, I did not do a second press. Instead, I painstakingly painted each print with a fine point white paint marker to get that bright white.