Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Psalm 117

This piece is titled "Psalm 117" from The Message by Eugene Peterson.

The background was created first using a technique I learned in a class given by Judy Melvin, a phenomenal lettering artist whose work I greatly admire. See more of her art at www.judymelvin.com.

I set the piece aside and decided to wait to see if any text ideas came to mind. After reading some Psalms in "The Message", I came across this version of Psalm 117. My favorite lines are: "Praise Yahweh, everybody! Applaud Yahweh, all people!" As I looked back at my piece, the border around the edge seemed to remind me of people encircled around praising, dancing and applauding. So, my text was found.

I used black sumi and walnut inks for the background; gouache for the main text; and gold leaf for the word "Hallelujah!" and the confetti. The gold, to me, represents God's holiness and that He is worthy of all praise.

In February of 2007, "Psalm 117" won the Purchase Prize in the Chicago Calligraphy Collective's Juried Show at the Newberry Library in Chicago. The piece, along with all preparatory materials, is now a part of their permanent collection. (See www.newberry.org)

"Psalm 117" is also available as a 12.75" x 20.75" giclée print. Please see my Etsy site for purchase information.

2 comments:

Hira said...

It's a nice dsign.

Julie said...

Thank you, Hira!