Monday, March 30, 2009

Today in the Studio

I'm back to practicing layouts for that little commission job. At this writing, I've done 42 roughs. For some reason I'm not as loose as I was when I did the first round a couple of weeks ago. Well, I think I just figured out why. The first time I worked on large paper and was just "playing". This time I decided to work on the actual paper I will use for the finished piece. I cut the paper to 8" x 6", because the actual size will be 7" x 5" for framing in an 10" x 8" frame.

As soon as I started writing, I could feel the restriction. My hand would come in contact with the edge of the paper and I would mess up the nice gestural stroke. Plus, just knowing I have those boundaries makes me tighten up. I'm going to try working on a larger sheet of paper on my light table, with the 7" x 5" area outlined behind the paper and see how that works.

I'm open to suggestions! Feel free to comment. :-)

P.S. If you don't hear from me for a few days it's because I'm out of town. I'll respond on Monday.

No comments: