Thursday, July 23, 2009

Steps in the Logo-Creation Process

Thought I'd share a bit on how the logo-creation process works for me. And since I'm in the process of designing my own new logo, here is one of my ideas. So far, I've only slightly refined this one. There are a few things I need to tweak here and there (like the thin/thick ratios and adjusting some of the curves), but I'm sitting on it for a while to see if it grows on me. That's the luxury of being the designer AND the client! :-)

First, I did a loose sketch with ink on paper, and scanned it into Photoshop.

Then I placed the image into Illustrator, traced it, and made the lines into vectors. "Vectors" are what give the image the smooth lines, as opposed to the pixelated edges in the scanned version. I also added a rule around the image, to contain it and make it more of a "unit", instead of just letters floating in space. Notice how the rule around the letters now creates negative space that can sometimes be quite interesting. (Negative space is the white area.)




Next, I reversed the image to emphasize those negative spaces a bit more, and also just to see how the image looked as a white on black.


Finally, I began to play with color. I'm starting out with 3 or 4 colors, because I'm hoping to get business cards and stationery digitally printed pretty inexpensively. However, if I find out from the printer that the cost is too high, I'll change the logo to one or two colors. But for the sake of playing, the sky's the limit!

Color option 1: black, warm red, metallic gold (very classic, traditional colors)


Color option 2: black, warm red, different gold


Color option 3: salmon, purple, bright green (funky, modern colors)


Color option 4: dark tan, moss green, warm red (and I dropped the dot between W and D)


Color option 5: black and green (with dot)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Julie,
Loved option 5! Very classy. Hope you are well. Talk to you soon,
Agnes

Jo Miller said...

I am really digging option 2, but also like the white on black option. The design is very well done; simple but with distinctive flair. Thanks for sharing. I am in the process of creating a website. It's really fun but can also be a little overwhelming learning the software and technical jargon.

Good luck, you have a great start!

Jo Miller

Jane Farr said...

Loved this post Julie! Thanks for sharing your process.

Kathy McCreedy said...

Oh Julie... REALLY beautiful... I enjoyed seeing your steps in the process, now I want to know what did you finally settle on?!? Beautifully done, girlfriend, Brava!

Kate said...

I like the last option you posted as well. The ones with three colors seem to detract from the logo and just seem like a nice design. The last one is says "I'm professional, creative and contemporary."

Julie said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Believe it or not, I'm still undecided! Perhaps it's because I know I still have time to come up with something better. As soon as my son goes to school full-time at the end of this month, I'll be trying to find more work and will need those business cards. I'll let you know what my final one looks like!