Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Carl Rohrs Chicago Workshop - Part 2

We had some really talented people in this workshop. The piece you see here at left was done by one of my best friends, Cathy. Check out her blog here and her website here.

This letter was done with one of the cut-paper techniques Carl shared with us. It's called a "prismatic letter". Carl teaches the technique with paper, as you'll see in some other examples. However, the idea of using translucent vellum was thought of by one of Carl's very talented students in Japan. Her name is Sayaka. Bravo, Sayaka!

Cathy made this one with 6-7 layers of Yupo, a synthetic translucent paper. The effect is similar to that of a letter carved in stone.

I've put more student work on my Flickr site, so please check it out at


You won't be disappointed!

I'll be adding more as the week goes on, so check back often to see what other goodies were created.

1 comment:

Jane Farr said...

This is amazing! I thought it was digital. Thanks for posting Julie. I am headed over to Flickr.