Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Calligraphic Homage


This week was spent in my studio (FINALLY!) making art. Well, and also trying to train a new puppy. :-) Let's just say that the art was way more fulfilling!!!

This first piece is called "A Calligraphic Homage". I was thinking this week about how many people have influenced my work and thought it might be a nice idea to do a piece in honor of them. The people you see represented here in letter form are either those with whom I've had the privilege to study, or those whose work I've admired from afar. My hope is that I've come close to each person's "style" while still retaining my own.

There is also a nod to my first experience with cursive writing in Mrs. Marthell's third grade class. I remember her because she encouraged me in my writing and lettering and often would give me the job of making posters for the class. :-)

It took a while to think about the people I wanted to represent; then to research their various lettering styles. Then I had to practice the styles I was interested in using, since not all of them come naturally to me. Once I felt comfortable with the letterforms I wanted to use, I then had to decide how to lay them all out on the page. That probably took the most time. When I finally came up with a rough layout, I scanned it into the computer, moved things around a bit, then printed out a full-size version. I used transfer paper to get the image lightly down on the page. I just made skeletal forms of the letters, then used the appropriate pens or brushes to actually letter right on the page. The piece was done with walnut ink and gold leaf. The paper is Bugra Archive.

I think the hardest part was writing the names in such small lettering. I can see I still need work on my small writing!

6 comments:

Jo Miller said...

This truly a piece to be proud of. The layout and design is lovely. I can't seem to look away. Glad your back to posting.

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

So cool! When is the Newberry show? You need to put this in there.

WildmanDesigns said...

Thanks, Jo and Shelly!

Jane Farr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Holtzman said...

This is amazing. You are SO talented!!

WildmanDesigns said...

Thank you for the compliment, Lisa.