Monday, January 11, 2010

Psalm 19:1 - The Heavens Declare...


This is a favorite verse of mine and one I've always wanted to "illustrate" with words. After trying this white on black technique in Carl Rohrs' workshop last fall, I thought it would be appropriate for this piece. I also love adding color in between words and letters, and playing with the negative and positive spaces. These colors remind me of the aurora borealis.

The piece was done with Dr. Martin's Bleedproof White, pointed brush, Prismacolors pencils, and Canson Mi-Teintes black charcoal paper.

This verse reminds me that God has written love letters to us in the sky, as well as throughout all of creation. :-)

8 comments:

Kate said...

It's gorgeous, Julie! You do such wonderful projects with your gestural writing!

WildmanDesigns said...

Thanks, Kate! And thanks for looking!

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

Wow, Julie. That's amazing. Cosmic, even. :)

Katy said...

Julie, thank you so much for your sweet message! I really appreciate it.

Your work in this post and the last post is wonderful!

WildmanDesigns said...

Thanks, Katy! And welcome to my blog! Thanks for following.

Sarah said...

ah.mahzing. Very very wonderful!

WildmanDesigns said...

Thank you, Sarah. :-)

Lisa Holtzman said...

OMG, your lettering is phenomenal. Plus the colors here and the black paper....