Sunday, May 9, 2010

"Wonder-full" Things!

Children are experts at it. Some adults seem to have lost it. But I'm a firm believer that all of us were born with it.




















It's one of my favorite words and one of my favorite things to do. I looked up the definition and found these:

• to have a wish or desire to know something
• the feeling aroused by something strange and surprising
• to be amazed at (I have a permanent crease on my forehead due to this one!!!)
• curiosity: a state in which you want to learn more about something

Lately, I've been journaling about the things I wonder. Here are just a few of them:
  • I wonder how crumbs get into the silverware drawer when I’m only putting in clean silverware and the drawers are almost always closed.
  • I wonder where do little boys go.
  • I wonder why the honeycomb pattern is so present in nature and the universe and how one could possibly think that it happened randomly.
  • I wonder how it will be to one day sit at the feet of Jesus and hear him speak.
  • And I wonder what stories He will tell.
Here are some wonderings from my son and husband:
  • I wonder how parrots can talk. (Josiah - age 7)
  • I wonder how little kids grow into big people who don't even look like themselves. (Josiah - age 7)
  • I wonder why so many of us are content to live life to the minimum instead of to the max. (Brad)
So, what do you wonder about? Care to get in on the conversation? Your wonderings could be funny or serious, trivial or deep. If you'd like to share them, please leave a comment here and I'll compile your answers and put them in another post for all to read.

Thanks for listening!

6 comments:

Jane Farr said...

Love your lettering and your wonderings Julie. I wonder what amazing lives my children will lead. I wonder why I keep waking up at 4am. I wonder why so many people have allergies as adults that didn't when they were kids. I wonder why God created the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Shannon Wilson said...

Julie -- I wonder how to stop my children from losing their sense of wonder. I wonder why God gives me such a undeserved long leash. I wonder when living will replace trying. I wonder where He is leading me -- but I'll go there without knowing. I wonder how blog friendships can be so rich.

WildmanDesigns said...

OOOOO!!!!! These are good! Thanks, Jane and Shannon, for sharing your personal wonderings.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Julie,
I have a "wonder" for you. I wonder when my mother's hands replaced mine!
I always enjoy your blog and hope to see you soon.
Agnes

Joygerm said...

I wonder how anyone can be bored when there are so many things that are amazing and, well, wonderful to look at, to think about, to learn. I wonder at the purpose of things for which there is such an abundance, yet most of us either despise or are at least annoyed by, such as dandelions, or dog hair--there must be a really useful purpose, but we don't know it. Maybe some ingredient in dandelions is the cure for cancer or something.

WildmanDesigns said...

Yes, Agnes. I've wondered that very same thing! Good one! Thanks for sharing and for reading.

And Joygerm, I love dandelions! Their yellow color is one of my all-time favorites, and I love when they go to seed. But I have to say that I can't find ANYTHING good about dog hair right now. I'm up to my eyeballs in the stuff and it's driving me CRAZY!!!