Monday, June 21, 2010

Blessing Book

I also spent the last week compiling handwritten "blessings" and making them into a book for a friend who just "retired" (she's too young to retire; just quit her job of 23 years to move on to other wonderful things!). We held a surprise birthday/retirement party for her and one of her other friends came up with the idea to have everyone write a blessing for her in this new season of life. I suggested we put them together in a small book and present her with it at the party. We had everyone mail their blessings to me, along with a word that summarized the blessing. I then wrote the special word on a separate page that introduced the blessing.

Here is the result. (I've only included a few photos. The book was about an inch thick.) I used Arches Text Wove for the pages; diluted sumi ink and a pointed brush for the lettering; my hot foil pen for gold dots on the page; and some really nice handmade papers from PaperSource for the covers and inside covers. Also, I changed the black, thin ribbon to a thicker gold satin ribbon. It looked much nicer.







4 comments:

Luce H. Zolna said...

Julie,
I love how this book turned out. What a great way to mark milestones.
Luce

Shannon Wilson said...

What a beautiful concept, beautifully executed! Using your lettering to introduce each note was the perfect way to tie it all together. I'm sure she'll treasure this!

Lisa Holtzman said...

Wonderful lettering!

WildmanDesigns said...

Thank you all for your nice comments. My friend was overwhelmed by the surprise of her dear friends being in the same room together, as well as all their blessings. And she loved the book. :-)