Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hello!

Well, this time I have a really good reason for not posting for a while. After my last post, we went on a spontaneous vacation. Since we really didn't know where we were going, I brought along my laptop—my very expensive laptop—to plan the trip while en route.

All was well until the final day, when we went to a water park and I slid my laptop bag slightly under the back seat before we went inside. (The key word is "slightly". Part of the bag was sticking out.) And I forgot to zip it. And, unbeknownst to us, just as we got out of the truck, our son had tipped over the cooler that had water in it. And when we got back, all the water had mysteriously disappeared and wasn't on the seat or on the floor of the truck!!!!!

Yep, you guessed it! The "perfect storm", as my husband is describing this little catastrophe. :-)

So, after drying out the computer for 48 hrs. per my tech guy's instructions, it worked for about 24 hrs. then died. Of course, neither my Apple warranty or my homeowner's insurance covered this particular scenario. (Found out that if the water main in my house had broken and spilled onto the laptop, THAT scenario would have been covered. ARRGGHHH!!!!!)

Fortunately, most of my data had been backed up. (I have learned the hard way that I need to do that!) But my iPhoto folder had not been backed up in awhile. I took the computer in to see if it could be repaired and was told it would cost more to repair it than it would to get a new one; but they did retrieve my data, so all is well. My new computer arrived yesterday and I am now fully operational again after almost 2 weeks without a computer.

So, I hope to have a nice little post sometime at the end of this week. A few of my artist friends are getting together for another creative play date and I hope I'll have some fun stuff to share with you then.

Enjoy the rest of summer vacation and try to keep cool! We've been having awfully hot and humid weather here in Chicagoland and I've been staying indoors way too much.

2 comments:

Jane Farr said...

Awww...so sorry to read of your computer tsunami Julie! Enjoy your playdate. Your group does such cool things. :)

Kathy McCreedy said...

AGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! What a bummer!!! I did something similar today with my Blackberry, though it isn't anywhere nearly as costly as a new computer, it's probably just about as annoying (especially because it was entirely my fault!!!).
I hope you are enjoying your new 'puter and taking extra special care of it!
Enjoy the holiday weekend,
All my best!
Kathy