Saturday, August 28, 2010

Some New Work

Tomorrow is our annual Chicago Calligraphy Collective picnic and we're having a greeting card sale. I came up with these few new designs that I thought would work for the cards as well as larger prints. This first one is an Irish proverb that I thought would make a nice greeting for the front of a card. I lettered this on a 12" x 9" sheet of Arches Text Wove, with a pointed brush and sumi ink. I scanned it into Photoshop and cleaned it up, then reduced it to a 6" x 4" image for a card.

This second image was from a sheet of marbled papers that I made last week at a creative play date with some friends. I didn't like the way the whole sheet turned out, but when I isolated part of the sheet, I saw this image. I then filled in the white spaces with sumi ink and this was the result. Thought this would look cool as a very large print.


The next three images are some of my abstract markings turned into 5" x 7" greeting cards. The first one is sumi ink and a red Sharpie Poster Paint pen on a printing paper. The second, sumi ink and the Sharpie on Arches Text Wove, and the third is bleach on black card stock with the Sharpie paint pen.



6 comments:

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

Love these, Julie! But I especially love the first one--it makes me think of you. :)

SKIZO said...

Thank you for sharing
This fabulous work with us
Good creations

Jane Farr said...

Great work Julie!! Your pointed brush lettering is fabulous! I hope the picnic and sale were a big hit.

Shannon Wilson said...

I've always loved your lettering, but your abstract work is beautiful all on its own. Your talents are endless, Julie!

zquilts said...

Your work never fails to leave me with my mouth agape! I love these cards. You are one talented person and I glad that I can call you friend!

g-satellite said...

I always enjoy your work. And now, too. I especially like the first - it's such an air and flying