Thursday, October 28, 2010

Carol Pallesen Workshop

Last weekend, the CCC hosted talented lettering artist Carol Pallesen from Reno, Nevada. (Carol doesn't have a website yet, but just Google her name and see what you come up with.) She taught a workshop called "Batik Cards". (Batik is a method of dyeing fabric, in which parts of the cloth not intended to be dyed, are covered with removable wax).

I've always wanted to learn batik because of the bright colors and wild patterns that one usually sees in this process. Carol made it easy by applying the technique to paper, which was a great way to introduce it to beginners.

The results were simply breathtaking. Everyone did such beautiful work! Unfortunately, I did not bring my camera so I don't have the step-by-step process to show you. I'm hoping to get some images from a friend, but until then, here are some of my finished pieces.




5 comments:

Jane Farr said...

Wow! These are reach-out-and-grab-you beautiful Julie! I hope you'll be able to share the step-by-step. Did you enhance them in Photoshop? The colors are so delicious and vivid.

WildmanDesigns said...

Thanks, Jane! I am hoping to do a step-by-step soon. A friend and I are going to try the process again at home, but need to purchase some batik tools since we used Carol's in class. I can guarantee more batik images in the weeks to come!!!

And the only enhancing was to try to beef up the brightness/contrast a bit more to get them to look as vibrant as the originals! The dyes are incredibly concentrated and VERY vibrant on paper.

Renee Troy said...

How fun, colorful and eye candy designs. Very inspiring, Carol!

Lisa Holtzman said...

These are gorgeous Julie! How fun. I've done batik on fabric but never paper...thanks for sharing.

Victoria Pittman said...

Very cool!

Love your brushwork too on earlier blogs

Best
V