Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Very Special Piece

A dear friend of ours got married over the weekend and this piece was a gift for her and her new husband. It is a testimony to God's faithfulness in their lives.

Our friend became a widow 15 years ago, at the age 43 years old. She was left to care for five children, ages 7 to 16. Our church family, as well as her immediate family, took seriously the biblical mandate to "care for widows and orphans". And the Lord was faithful to become husband and father to her and her children. We watched in awe as her "mourning was turned into gladness" and her children grew to be men and women who loved the Lord with their whole heart, soul, mind and strength.

Her new husband was also a widower for 2 years and father to 3 young adult children.

Theirs is a story of love, loss, healing and love again. And this verse has become their theme. The fall colors were chosen by both of them, to fit with their living room decor. I used a pointed brush with gouache for the lettering and watercolors for the color.







8 comments:

dthaase said...

A flame of life - brilliant and wonderful!

Jane Farr said...

It is a very special-and gorgeous- piece Julie. Your friends sound as though they will cherish it and each other for years to come.

WildmanDesigns said...

Thanks Dan and Jane!

Christy said...

Hey Julie, have you ever visited the evangelism museum (I know, sounds strange) at Wheaton College? At the time I went, they had an art display there of old hymn lyrics. It was very cool. I really like your art!
Christy

Christy said...

Hey Julie, have you ever visited the evangelism museum (I know, sounds strange) at Wheaton College? At the time I went, they had an art display there of old hymn lyrics. It was very cool. I really like your art!
Christy

LuckyDog said...

How *gorgeous*!
I just love it so much.

kathy McCreedy said...

Julie,
This piece is stunning... and I need you to email me with your email address to discuss it (the brush lettering)... I am, once again, in awe of your talent.
xoxo, Kathy

nikheel said...

WOW! simply awesome. These little empty counters make it more special.