Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Playing in the Studio


In November, Georgia Deaver came to Chicago to teach her class called Stylized Writing. (See my earlier posts for work and comments from that class.)

Since then, I've been practicing some of the exercises we did in that class, and one of them inspired this piece. I was walking through the snowy woods one day and started snapping pictures of the bare trees and undergrowth. I kept thinking about how all the branches and the space in between reminded me of letterforms. When I came home, I enlarged one of the photos, printed it out and put it down on a larger sheet of paper. Then I began to write next to it, in a style that was derived from the shapes I saw in the photos. I came up with this lettering.

Today I decided to scan it in and play around with the placement of the photo and lettering in my layout software. This is the final result.

8 comments:

Luce H. Zolna said...

Beautiful lettersforms Julie and the piece is beautiful. Luce

Jane Farr said...

Great work Julie. The process from beginning to end must have been very satisfying.

Renee Troy said...

Love the collage elements juxtaposed with the calligraphy. A lovely piece indeed.

Overflow said...

I see a book of these......

Lisa Holtzman said...

Oh Julie, this is fantastic! Your photos are very nice and the way you captured the shapes and rhythms of the trees with your lettering is very cool, very graphic.

Kathy McCreedy said...

Hi Julie! LOVE this piece!!! And I like the cola pen doodling, too... I need to try to make myself a cola pen... every thing I've seen written with one, I like... yours is no exception. Hope all is well! xoxo
Kathy

Shannon Wilson said...

Julie, this is awesome. Love the photography, the colors, the shapes, the repetition... Beautiful. Makes me want to grab my camera and run outside to look for God's letterforms -- but it's dark right now. Darn. Maybe tomorrow. :)

april said...

Love this piece, Julie! The lettering is wonderful and perfect for it. Beautiful!