Friday, August 19, 2011

In the Studio This Week

Summer is winding down. Baseball season is over. My son goes back to school next week. And now it's time for me to get back to work!

This week was spent on a commissioned piece, which is almost finished and will be shared later this weekend. But in between that and family life, I started playing with some "sketches" for an 8" x 10" exhibit that I'll be entering through the Chicago Calligraphy Collective. The exhibit will feature pieces that are all framed at 8" x 10" finished size, so they'll be pretty small. But it's kind of fun working within those specifications. I used the cola pen and sumi ink for these studies:









9 comments:

cindy c said...

would love to know what a cola pen is--
thanks--
cindy c

WildmanDesigns said...

Hi Cindy:

See my post on Sunday, March 15, 2009. The cola pen is a "pen" made from an aluminum pop can. It's shaped like a spade and can be used to make very wide strokes, or come up on the tip for very thin strokes. And since it is so flexible, one sometimes gets very cool splatters when the aluminum flexes and sends the ink flying! I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info--
love your work--
cindy c

Jane Farr said...

Delicious! I love the feeling of freedom in your lettering Julie. Best wishes transitioning from summer to school year.

WildmanDesigns said...

Thanks, Jane. It really is a transition, isn't it? :-)

Overflow said...

Julie knows how to have fun! I think that's what people love about her work. It's full of life and you can tell she loves doing it.

WildmanDesigns said...

Well, thank you my dear "overflow" friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

This is very beautiful.
As a designer I am always looking out for beautiful typefaces and fonts. Have you considered rendering this as a font to be used commercially?
Script fonts are hard to get right, but I really like the energy in these strokes.

WildmanDesigns said...

Thanks for the compliment, Anonymous. And for looking at my blog.

I have not thought about making this into a font and don't really know how to do that. I do get hired by companies to do the hand-lettering and, sometimes, turn the lettering into vector art. But perhaps I should look into the font thing.

Thanks for the idea. All the best to you!