Friday, December 16, 2011

Marbled Papers Play Date!

Wow! Haven't posted since October!!! Thinking back, that's just around the time that I started teaching some classes again and got very busy with my graphic design work. I need to take some time and browse on all my blogging friends' sites. What have you all been up to?

I did manage to sneak in a play date with some friends a couple of weeks ago where we made some marbled papers. Thanks to the detective work of my friend Rita's husband, John, we all came out with gorgeous results! John is a retired engineer who has been using his right-brain a lot lately! He has investigated all the details of which papers, inks, and surface preparations work best for paper marbling and you can see here that his work has paid off. And we got to play in one of my favorite places—my friend Luce's studio!!!






This is a section of one of John's sheets that I won at a silent auction in October.
















And this is a portion of one of my sheets. I tended to like the more "organic" marbling, as opposed to the patterns that we learned.

All in all, it was a very fun and informative day! I'm so blessed to have wonderfully creative people in my life.










That's John giving Luce some instruction on how to apply the paint to the surface of the water.






And here's Cathy using a plastic "wand" that John made. 
We dipped them in the marbling inks and then tapped them 
so the paint would speckle the surface.




This is what it looks like up close.





Some of the finished sheets drying in Luce's studio.

No comments: