Monday, March 12, 2012

So, Here's the Beyond

I titled my previous post "Monoprints and Beyond" because I used one of my monoprints in a different way later on.

Someone asked me to make a bunch of bookmarks as gifts for friends, and one of them was to say "Hope" on it. I thought the green image with the reverse of the flowers was a nice background for the word "hope". Sort of reminded me of spring, with it's new life, and green colors. So I scanned the whole image that you see here:


Then had to condense it to fit the 2.5" width of a bookmark. I didn't want to squish the flower image, so I used the selection tool to "grab" the flowers and put them on their own layer; then I filled in the white space left on the green layer and condensed the vertical shape so that it would fit the narrower width.


Then I dropped the flower layer back in and just ever-so-slightly condensed it to fit in the new background.


Finally, I lettered the word "hope" in black on white paper and scanned it in. I colored it the same color as the cream background and put a drop shadow filter on it. I then had a bunch printed at my local printer, using their high-res color copy machine and printed them on 100# cover stock. I trimmed and laminated them at home. Punched a hole and added a ribbon. Here is the result.

Monoprints and Beyond

A couple of weeks ago I got together with the usual group of creative friends for our quarterly play date. This time it was to do monoprinting at my friend Luce's wonderful studio. Luce is one of those people that is always trying a new technique or experimenting with different media and her studio is a treasure trove of interesting items and art. So, we brought our plexiglass plates, printing inks, brayers, and Luce supplied us with an odd assortment of dried leaves, twigs, plants, etc. and set to work.

We tried a variety of monoprinting techniques, which included painting on the plate surface (which yielded THIS mess!!!);


Then I tried braying the ink on the plate and "scoring" squiggles into it. I kind of liked how this one turned out.

The one I liked the best was this next technique. I brayed the ink on the plate and laid a stem of dried flowers on top. Then placed my paper on top of that and sent it through the press. The result was this image AND a very cool emboss of the dried flower stem!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Launch of New Wildman Designs Website!

Hi Friends!

Well, now I have a great excuse for not posting here in a while. :-) I've been designing (on and off for the past year-and-a-half !!!!) my new website. DISCLAIMER: I am not a web designer!!!!! I was working with an easy, but clunky, web program on my Mac called iWeb. Well, I hit it hard the last couple of months and got all the bugs worked out, thanks to some technical help from an actual web designer, and lo and behold it's READY!!!!



So here's the link: www.wildmandesigns.com

Check it out and let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is VERY HELPFUL, so take a run-through and let me know if you find it hard to navigate, or it's clunky, or whatever.

Thanks!